Suicidal thoughts may accompany various mental or emotional disorders. They are a gravely serious symptom and help should be sought immediately if you encounter them. People may contemplate suicide when they experience:
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Feelings that the world would be a better place without them
- Feeling they have no other way out of a bad situation
- A sense that their pain and suffering is permanent
- A belief that there is no reason to live
Even though these thoughts are very difficult to deal with, suicide is never the answer. There are many people willing and able to help people encountering suicidal thoughts. If you think that a friend of loved one may be contemplating suicide, look for these signs.
- Expressing feelings of sadness, loneliness, or worthlessness
- Putting their affairs in order
- Openly speaking about the afterlife or what life would be like without them
- Visiting people to say goodbye
- Drastically changing from depressed or sad to extremely happy
- Self harm or threatening to commit suicide
If you are having suicidal thoughts please contact me immediately. You can also visit this website, http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ or call 800-273-8255.