While the overall goal of therapy is the very vague 'to be happier,' you may not have any idea what that means for you yet. That's okay. I can help you break down your overall goal into smaller, achievable goals. When you start therapy, I will assist you with you with clarifying what's not working in your life. Many times, people first come to therapy knowing what they don't want, rather than what they really want in life. Together, we will figure out what you are seeking to change, improve, or accomplish.
Specifically, I will help you increase your clarity about:
- The kind of life you want to create
- The kind of changes you want to make
- The beliefs that may be influencing the presenting problem
- The skills and knowledge necessary to achieve your goals
- Your blocks to becoming the kind of person you aspire to be
- Who you are and your purpose
- How to love yourself and stop beating yourself down
During your sessions, try to:
- Give your therapist access to the real you. This means being totally honest and vulnerable.
- Rip down the walls you've built to protect yourself. Only when you stop hiding behind those walls and instead reveal your true thoughts and feelings can you can get honest, useful feedback.
- Give your therapist feedback. Tell him/her about how you experience the session, what's helpful/unhelpful, and your reactions to both the therapist and the therapy in general.
- Providing this feedback enables your therapist to better meet your needs.
- Think critically about your sessions, and feel free to question your therapist's instructions, skills, and motives.
- Periodically ask your therapist to assess your progress with you (if your treatment is longer-term).
Be Open to Change
You're entering therapy for support and guidance as you make changes in your life. Since how you've been living (thinking, behaving, etc.) is no longer working for you, it's time to take your life off of autopilot and try something new. If you're with a therapist you trust, take the risk. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain. I will provide you with all the tools, knowledge and sense of safety that is necessary and most helpful to make lasting changes in your life and achieve your goals.